|WELCOME TO THE CANTON AUDUBON SOCIETY (CAS)
|WHAT’S TO COME
Meetings/Programs on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at the Exploration Gateway at Sippo Lake Park.
Click here for our most recent Newsletter
All are welcome to all our events! They are free, educational and community-centered.
Join us for bird walks! They continue through the fall and occur just before each monthly meeting.
Find out more Click Here.
Ohio Audubon Chapter List and Map. Click Here
Become a chapter supporter by becoming a member of CAS. Find out more Click Here
CAS UPCOMING EVENTS
- June 1st 9:00am – Metzger Park Bird Walk – Meet at the Pavilion in Metzger Park, Louisville. Common bird sightings are Eastern Meadowlarks, Bobolinks, and Bluebirds. June 1st is the first day of our 58th year. Come join us for a relaxing, fun bird walk.
- June 9th 8:00am – Field trip to Clear Fork Gorge, Mohican State Park – Meet to caravan or carpool at the Lowes Parking Lot in Massillon shopping center. Click here for map of Mohican . Click here for directions to Lowe’s
- June 19th 4:30pm – Pre-Meeting Bird Walk – Meet at the Pavilion at Sippo Lake Exploration Gateway for a bird walk before the picnic.
- June 19th 5:30pm – Canton Audubon Society Annual Picnic – Canton Audubon will provide the main course and beverage, we ask that participants bring a covered dish to share and plates, cups, and utensils. The By-laws have been revised and will be voted on at the Picnic. Copies will be available for review.
- For a complete list of this years Programs/Actvities
- Audubon Programs and Activities
We provide a public program the third Wednesday of every month (Sep-May) at 7:00pm. Programs are at Exploration Gateway (Stark Parks’ Facility at Sippo Lake) 5712 12th Street NW, Canton 44708.
Monthly bird walks are held just before the meetings March – October.
Everything we do is open to the public. Please join us!
OTHER LOCAL BIRDING EVENTS
- May 19th 9:00am – 11:00am – Barn Swallows and Bluebirds – Cleveland Metroparks/ Acacia Reservation – Man-made cavities and outbuildings are perfect places for barn swallows and eastern bluebirds. Join Naturalist Natalie Schroder to seek out these marvelous insectivores as they hunt for nesting locations. Hopefully we will see nest-building in action. Click here for more information
- May 25th 8:00am – 12:00pm – Bird banding with Al Eibel – Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center – See live, wild songbirds in the hand and learn why bird banding is an important tool for bird and wildlife conservation. Drop in any time between 8 a.m. and noon. Meet Al outside on the east side of the Visitors Center. Banding sessions are canceled in the event of rain. Click here for more information
- May 26th 9:30am – 11:00am – Last wave of Spring Birding – Cleveland Metroparks/ Lakefront Reservation – Join Naturalist Jen Brumfield to seek migrant songbirds during the final wave of spring migration 2019 on Lake Erie’s shore. A few warblers, vireos, thrushes and other Neotropical migrants are still moving north to breeding grounds. Click here for more information
- May 31st 9:00am – 11:00am – Grassland Birds: Bobolinks and more – Summit Metroparks/ Bath Nature Preserve – Join a naturalist and Lara Roketenetz from The University of Akron Field Station as we look for and listen to bobolinks and meadowlarks. Other birds will be a bonus. Bring binoculars and a spotting scope. Some binoculars will be provided. Meet at the Field Station, past the main parking lot off Ira Road and down the lane to the second house. Click here for more information
- May 31st 2:00pm – 3:30pm – Birding at the Marsh – Cleveland Metroparks/ North Chagrin Reservation – Explore the wetland area around North Chagrin Nature Center for birds large and small. Please bring binoculars, limited number available to borrow. Click here for more information
- June 1st 7:00am – 9:30am – Bird Walk: June Warblers – Cuyahoga Valley National Park/ Kendall Lake – Sharpen your birding skills on various trails throughout the park and discover the different birds that call Cuyahoga Valley home. New bird watchers are welcome. Join Volunteer Naturalist Dwight Chasar on this walk around the rolling, unpaved Lake Trail. We’ll search for a variety of warblers and other late spring inhabitants. Click here for more information
- June 2nd 10:00am – 11:00am – Bank Swallow Watch – Summit Metroparks/ Cascade Valley Overlook – Join a naturalist to view the aerial acrobatics of bank swallows. These small birds put on quite a show diving through the air and flitting in and out of their nests in the steep, sandy riverbank. Spotting scopes and binoculars will be available. Click here for more information
Stark Parks: Link
TWC: The Wilderness Center Link
HBNC: Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center Link
SMP: Summit Metro Parks Link
CVNP: Cuyahoga Valley National Park Link
CMP: Cleveland Metroparks Link
Beech Creek Gardens Link