|WELCOME TO THE CANTON AUDUBON SOCIETY (CAS)
|WHAT’S TO COME
Meetings/Programs on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at the Exploration Gateway at Sippo Lake Park.
Click here for our most recent newsletter
All are welcome to all our events! They are free, educational and community-centered.
Join us for bird walks! They continue through the fall and occur just before each monthly meeting.
Find out more Click Here.
Ohio Audubon Chapter List and Map. Click Here
Become a chapter supporter by becoming a member of CAS. Find out more Click Here
CAS UPCOMING EVENTS
- August 19th 4:00pm – CAS Picnic – Quail Hollow Park in Hartville – Join CAS member and former Secretary Alice Rini for a picnic. As a young girl Alice was employed by the Stewart family, which lived in what is now Quail Hollow. Alice should have many good stories to tell you about the times she worked there. We will also be Honoring 90+ year old members Alice Rini, Nickie Wingert, Joe Sommer. Meet at 4 p.m. (or before if you wish), in the picnic table area at the north end of the main parking lot. It is the 1st left in the park, .6 mile in from the road. Lee and Alan will bring beverage, and a cake to celebrate the occasion. Bring your own lunch/dinner. Let Linda Chen know if you are coming so we know how many to plan for and have enough cake.
September 19th 5:30pm – CAS Pre-meeting Bird Walk – Sippo Lake Exploration Gateway – Meet at South Facing Balcony.
- September 19th 7:00pm – Monthly CAS Meeting – “Ohio Lights Out” presented by Shane Good. Shane will be speaking about local efforts to initiate a “Lights Out Akron/Canton” program. Sponsors of the program include Akron Zoo, Stark Parks, Cleveland Museum of Natural History, the Ohio Bird Conservation Initiative, and others. Every spring and fall, millions of birds migrate through Northeast Ohio on their way to or from their breeding grounds. Many birds migrate at night, and lights on tall buildings or aimed at the sky can disorient them and draw them into the buildings. This causes many birds to strike windows or circle buildings until they fall from exhaustion. Building collisions are a leading cause of bird fatality during migration in North America, estimated to kill 550 million birds each year. The goal of Lights Out Akron/Canton is to reduce the number of birds killed by flying into buildings and windows. Shane has served as an Animal Curator at the Akron Zoo since 2012, managing the Zoo’s avian collection. Before coming to the Akron Zoo he spent 20 years working as an Animal Keeper at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo.
- For a complete list of this years Programs/Actvities
- Audubon Field Trips – Click here
- Audubon Programs – Click here
We provide a public program the third Wednesday of every month (Sep-May) at 7:00pm. Programs are at Exploration Gateway (Stark Parks’ Facility at Sippo Lake) 5712 12th Street NW, Canton 44708.
Monthly bird walks are held just before the meetings March – October.
Everything we do is open to the public. Please join us!
OTHER LOCAL BIRDING EVENTS
- August 14th 9:00am – 11:00am – Adventures in Birding – Stark Parks/ Walbourn Reservoir – Celebrate the Year of the Bird by going birding along the trails at Walborn Reservoir. Look for waterfowl, herons, hawks, and shorebirds, as we take a leisurely stroll. Please bring your own binoculars. Click here for more information
- August 19th 10:00am – 11:30am – Birding the banks of Euclid Creek – Cleveland Metroparks/ Euclid Creek Reservation – Join Naturalist Natalie Schroder on the banks of Euclid Creek searching for woodpeckers, flycatchers and sandpipers. Meet at the Highland Picnic Area parking lot. Click here for more information
- August 25th 8:00am – 10:00am – Plentiful Places – Cuyahoga Valley National Park/ Ira Trailhead – Search for a diversity of late-summer feeding and resting birds. Join us on a 1.5-mile walk on the firm, flat Towpath Trail. Leisurely pace. Click here for more information
- August 25th 8:00am – 12:00pm – Bird banding with Al Eibel – Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center – See live, wild songbirds in the hand and learn why bird banding is an important tool for bird and wildlife conservation. Drop in any time between 8 a.m. and Noon. Meet Al outside on the east side of the Visitors Center. Banding sessions are canceled in the event of rain. Click here for more information
- August 26th 9:30am- 11:30am – Birding the Mouth of Euclid Creek – Cleveland Metroparks/ Euclid Creek Reservation – Join Naturalist Natalie Schroder on a wander through the meadow, forest and along the lake in search of birds. Meet in the Wildwood Marina entrance parking lot. Click here for more information
- August 26th 9:30am – 11:00am – Urban Birding Blitz – Cleveland Metroparks/ Wendy Park – Join Naturalist Jen Brumfield at famed Wendy Park to seek some of the first southbound songbirds and water birds. Park in the main gravel lot just east of the marina. Click here for more information
Stark Parks: Link
TWC: The Wilderness Center Link
HBNC: Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center Link
SMP: Summit Metro Parks Link
CVNP: Cuyahoga Valley National Park LinJuk
CMP: Cleveland Metroparks Link
Beech Creek Gardens Link