|WHAT’S TO COME
Meetings/Programs on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at the Exploration Gateway at Sippo Lake Park.
Click here for our most recent newsletter
All are welcome to all our events! They are free, educational and community-centered.
Join us for bird walks! They continue through the fall and occur just before each monthly meeting.
Find out more Click Here.
Ohio Audubon Chapter List and Map. Click Here
Become a chapter supporter by becoming a member of CAS. Find out more Click Here
- Although all group activities have been cancelled or delayed due to the current health pandemic. Canton Audubon Society will be highlighting a local birding patch of the week. See below for this weeks location.
- John T Huston – Dr John D Brumbaugh Nature Center – The John T. Huston – Dr. John. D. Brumbaugh Nature Center was established thanks to a gift from Dr. John D. Brumbaugh. Dr. Brumbaugh donated the 109 acres that had been his grandfather’s farm to then Mount Union College in December of 1986. The farm, located in Washington Township, Stark County, Ohio included old growth and second growth forest and a large bank barn. Dr. Brumbaugh also established a generous endowment to provide for the development of the area as a nature preserve and educational facility. The property was named The John T. Huston – Dr. John D. Brumbaugh Nature Center, in honor of both Dr. Brumbaugh and his grandfather, John Huston. It was Dr. Brumbaugh’s wish that the area be used as a nature preserve for the education and enjoyment of all people and the area be developed in such a way as to lead visitors into an exploration of the outside environment.
Today the Nature Center provides support for numerous classes at The University of Mount Union, welcomes thousands of school students to environmental education programs, creates opportunities for hundreds of people to give of themselves as volunteers and offers a place for reflection and nature study for any who choose to visit.
- Click here for map and directions –
- Click here Ebird information –
- Click here to read more about this Ebird Hotspot
- Click here for a Map of Trails
- For a complete list of programs and activities. Click Here
- All programs are held at the Exploration Gateway (Stark Parks’ Facility at Sippo Lake) 5712 12th Street NW, Canton 44708.
Monthly bird walks are held just before the meetings March – October.
Everything we do is open to the public. Please join us!
- Sunday August 2nd 10:00am – 5:00pm – Summer Bioblitz – A bioblitz is an intense period of biological surveying to record all the living species within a designated area. Help us bioblitz the Nature Center and contribute data to our biodiversity project. This is a self-guided activity that only requires use of the iNaturalist app on your smart phone. See the article “Enjoying Nature In Your Backyard” on page 7 for a quick overview of the iNaturalist app. No registration required.
Stark Parks: Link
TWC: The Wilderness Center Link
HBNC: Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center Link
SMP: Summit Metro Parks Link
CVNP: Cuyahoga Valley National Park Link
CMP: Cleveland Metroparks Link
Beech Creek Gardens Link