|WELCOME TO THE CANTON AUDUBON SOCIETY (CAS)
|WHAT’S TO COME
Meetings/Programs on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at the Exploration Gateway at Sippo Lake Park.
Click here for our most recent newsletter
All are welcome to all our events! They are free, educational and community-centered.
Join us for bird walks! They continue through the fall and occur just before each monthly meeting.
Find out more Click Here.
Ohio Audubon Chapter List and Map. Click Here
Become a chapter supporter by becoming a member of CAS. Find out more Click Here
CAS UPCOMING EVENTS
- November 20th 5:30pm CAS Pre-meeting Bird Walk – Meet at the south facing balcony. Walk will head east towards the marina.
- November 20th 7:00pm – CAS Regular Monthly Meeting – Topic will be “Migration All Around Us: How Birds Navigate the Americas.” For some five billion individual birds, a trip to Central or South America from North America is an essential and stunning annual accomplishment. Why do birds undertake this grueling trip? How do they find their way to wintering grounds they have never seen before? What makes Blackpoll Warbler one of the most impressive species in the world? This talk will detail how ornithologists study the phenomenon of migration. The Cleveland Museum of Natural History is a key partner in the Lights Out Cleveland effort, which monitors bird-building collisions during migration. The result of that work will be presented, including insights from rehabilitating birds as well as a new discovery from the collisions patterns across the city. Presented by Andy Jones. Dr. Andy Jones is an expert on birds and their evolutionary history. He specializes in comparative phylogeography, a field that compares the geographic patterns of genetic variation among populations of a species with those of other species occupying the same habitat. These comparisons can answer questions about how ecological and evolutionary processes have influenced the distribution of species across a geographic region. The patterns of genetic variation can also determine the relatedness of populations within a species, in some cases showing that a single species is actually two or more.
- For a complete list of this years Programs/Actvities
- Programs & Activities for 2019/2020
We provide a public program the third Wednesday of every month (Sep-May) at 7:00pm. Programs are at Exploration Gateway (Stark Parks’ Facility at Sippo Lake) 5712 12th Street NW, Canton 44708.
Monthly bird walks are held just before the meetings March – October.
Everything we do is open to the public. Please join us!
OTHER LOCAL BIRDING EVENTS
- October 23rd 9:30am – 11:30am – Birding the Canal – Cleveland Metroparks/ Canalway Center – Join us as we walk the towpath in search of the birds that make Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation their home. Bring binoculars, some available to borrow. Click here for more information
- October 24th 7:00am -5:00pm – October Birding Blitz – Cleveland Metroparks/ Rocky River Reservation – Join Naturalist Jen Brumfield to seek migrant shorebirds and waterbirds along Ohio’s coastline. Learn identification tips on gulls, waterfowl, raptors, sparrows and more. Lunch included. Cost is $80. Reservation is required only 12 spots available.Click here for more information
- October 27th 9:30am – 10:30am – Waterbird Workshop – Cleveland Metroparks/ Lakefront Reservation – Join Naturalist Jen Brumfield to seek gulls, ducks, and other migrating waterbirds as they move along Lake Erie’s coastline heading towards wintering grounds. Meet by the fishing pier. Click here for more information
- November 1st 2:00pm – 4:00pm – Bird of Prey Discovery Table – Cleveland Metroparks/ North Chagrin Reservation – Drop in any time between listed hours and learn about our local raptors. See and touch native Ohio raptor wings, skulls and talons and meet a live owl at our discovery table. Click here for more information
- November 2nd 10:00am – 12:00pm – Birds and Coffee – Cleveland Metroparks/ North Chagrin Reservation – Brush up on your bird I.D. and enjoy a cup of coffee as we watch for woodpeckers, chickadees and more through our one-way glass windows. Click here for more information
Stark Parks: Link
TWC: The Wilderness Center Link
HBNC: Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center Link
SMP: Summit Metro Parks Link
CVNP: Cuyahoga Valley National Park Link
CMP: Cleveland Metroparks Link
Beech Creek Gardens Link