|WELCOME TO THE CANTON AUDUBON SOCIETY (CAS)
|WHAT’S TO COME
Meetings/Programs on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at the Exploration Gateway at Sippo Lake Park.
Click here for the most recent newsletter
All are welcome to all our events! They are free, educational and community-centered.
Join us for bird walks! They continue through the fall and occur just before each monthly meeting.
Find out more Click Here.
Ohio Audubon Chapter List and Map. Click Here
Become a chapter supporter by becoming a member of CAS. Find out more Click Here
CAS UPCOMING EVENTS
- February 15th, 17th, 18th – Great Backyard Bird Count – Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center. Join Canton Audubon Society and Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center at Huston Brumbaugh’s indoor bird viewing room to participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count. Count for as little as 15 minutes or stay the entire day. Each checklist submitted during the GBBC helps researchers at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and the National Audubon Society learn more about what birds are doing, and how to protect them and the environment we share. The count is so fun because anyone can take part – we all learn and watch birds together – whether you are and expert, novice or feeder watcher.
- February 20th 7:00pm – CAS Regualar Meeting – “Members Night” – presented by CAS members. Canton Audubon Society to gives each member the opportunity present a mini-program to members attending our annual Members Night. Have you seen an interesting bird, traveled to an interesting place, or conducted research – on your own, or with others? If you can answer “yes”, then we would like to know about it. Its is your chance to shine, to give a short presentation ( 5 -10 min). Bring what you need to inform and entertain those present at the meeting. If you have a laptop, you can connect to the park’s on site digital projector. If you have questions, contact either Scott Watkins (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 330-209-1261 or Alan Dolan (email@example.com) or 330-832-2491.
- For a complete list of this years Programs/Actvities
- Audubon Programs and Activities
We provide a public program the third Wednesday of every month (Sep-May) at 7:00pm. Programs are at Exploration Gateway (Stark Parks’ Facility at Sippo Lake) 5712 12th Street NW, Canton 44708.
Monthly bird walks are held just before the meetings March – October.
Everything we do is open to the public. Please join us!
OTHER LOCAL BIRDING EVENTS
- January 5th – January 27th – Saturdays and Sundays – 10:00am – 12:00pm – Cleveland Metroparks/ Brecksville Reservation – Stop by to hand-feed the chickadees every Saturday and Sunday through February 24. We’ll supply the black oil sunflower seeds and instruction that help make this experience one to remember. Click here for more information
- January 6th – February 25th Saturdays and Sundays – 12:00pm – 3:00pm – Beech Creek Botanical Garden – Visitors experience the thrill of hand-feeding the chickadees at Beech Creek! A great outdoor winter activity for families. General Admission $3 per person (0-2 free, members free) Beech Creek volunteers have trained Black-capped chickadees to feed out of one’s hand. On weekends every January and February volunteers provide visitors: * A warm outdoor fire * Hot Cocoa * Marshmallows for roasting * Coaching on how to hand-feed these adorable brave little birds. Click here for more information
- January 21st 1:00pm – 2:00pm – Woodpecker Feeder Workshop – Summit Metroparks/ Sieberling Nature Realm – Join a naturalist to learn how to attract woodpeckers, nuthatches and other birds to your yard and create a take-home bird feeder, while supplies last. Click here for more information
- January 24th 9:30am – 11:30am – Eagle Spotting – Cleveland Metroparks/ Canalway Center – Join Naturalist Jake Kudrna as we hike along the Towpath in search of the bald eagles that thrive along the Cuyahoga River. Bring binoculars, some available to borrow. Click here for more information
- January 25th 6:00pm – 7:30pm – Family Owl Hike – Cleveland Metroparks/ South Chagrin Reservation – Join Naturalist Carly Martin for a dark hike in search of owls and their habitat. Click here for more information
- January 26th 9:30am – 10:30am – Feathers at the Feeders – Cleveland Metroparks/ Canalway Center – Join us for a morning of birding while staying warm in the center. You can learn how to ID some winter birds that visit your feeders. Field guides and binoculars will be available for use. Click here for more information
- January 26th 2:00pm – 3:00pm – Owls in the Afternoon – Cleveland Metroparks/ Canalway Center – We’ll discuss which owls live here, explore their adaptations, and listen to their calls. Then we’ll make an owl craft for you to take home with you. Click here for more information
- January 27th 9:30am – 11:00am- Wildbirds at Wildwood – Cleveland Metroparks/ Euclid Creek Reservation – Join Naturalist Natalie Schroder as we scan the lake and break walls for mergansers and other ducks. We may move farther East to check out a second location. Park in the lot closest to the walking bridge. Click here for more information
- January 27th 2:00pm – 3:00pm – How to Use Ebird – Cleveland Metroparks/ Rocky River Reservation – Join Naturalist Jen Brumfield for a visual lesson on how to use the Cornell Lab’s incredibly popular bird sightings database, eBird. Ask questions about your current eBird reports or set up your first account! Click here for more information
- January 27th 3:30pm – 4:30pm – Migrators at the Lakefront – Cleveland Metroparks/ Lakefront Reservation – Join Naturalist Meghan Wagner for an afternoon of beginners birding. We’ll explore Wendy Park in search of migrating species and hopefully spot a snowy owl during our search. Click here for more information
- January 29th 8:00pm – 9:00pm – Owl Prowl – Stark Parks/ Wildlife Conservation Center – What happens in the park after dark? Meet at the Wildlife Conservation Center, meet some of our nocturnal animal ambassadors, and take a leisurely hike in the Cottonwood Wetlands searching for our resident owls and other nocturnal wildlife. Dress for the weather and bring a flashlight. Click here for more information
- January 30th 11:00am – 12:30am – Chickadee Feeding – Summit Metroparks/ Sieberling Nature Realm – Spend some relaxing family time around the campfire learning about one of Ohio’s most endearing feathered friends, then participate in hand-feeding the chickadees along Cherry Lane Trail. Seed is provided. Click here for more information
- January 31st 9:30am – 11:30am – Birds of the Lakefront – Cleveland Metroparks/ Lakefront Reservation – The Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve is a well-known haven for birds. Join Naturalist Jake Kudrna on a hike through this man-made oasis in search of saw-whet owls and winter waterfowl. Bring binoculars, some available to borrow. Meet at 8701 Lakeshore Boulevard Cleveland, Oh 44108. Click here for more information
Stark Parks: Link
TWC: The Wilderness Center Link
HBNC: Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center Link
SMP: Summit Metro Parks Link
CVNP: Cuyahoga Valley National Park Link
CMP: Cleveland Metroparks Link
Beech Creek Gardens Link