|WELCOME TO THE CANTON AUDUBON SOCIETY (CAS)
|WHAT’S TO COME
Meetings/Programs on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at the Exploration Gateway at Sippo Lake Park.
Click here for the most recent newsletter
Recently Canton Audubon Society lost a true leader to its members, Alan Dolan. Members contributed to a tribute newsletter to honor his memory.
Click here to view the tribute newsletter
All are welcome to all our events! They are free, educational and community-centered.
Join us for bird walks! They continue through the fall and occur just before each monthly meeting.
Find out more Click Here.
Ohio Audubon Chapter List and Map. Click Here
Become a chapter supporter by becoming a member of CAS. Find out more Click Here
CAS UPCOMING EVENTS
- November 17th, 2021 6:15pm – 6:45pm – Pre-meeting Meet and Greet with “Volt” the Stark Parks education turkey vulture. Meet at the Wildlife Conservation Center.
- November 17th, 2021 7:00pm – “Marvelous Turkey Vultures” – by Carrie Elvey – Vultures are such a common sight on the Ohio landscape, they are often passed over without much of a thought. Their fascinating ecology and adaptations are anything but common, however. This program will explore this most unique bird and encourage you to give them a second (and maybe ever third) glance the next time one soars overhead. Carrie Elvey is the senior naturalist and community engagement coordinator at The Wilderness Center, where she has worked for over 20 years. Carrie grew up in Holmes County, wandering the fields and playing in the creek. Carrie graduated from Hiram College, served as a research assistant in Trinidad, Suriname, and Alaska, and worked at an outdoors school in Massachusetts before returning to Holmes County to begin work at TWC. Her passions include all creatures weird or slimy and connecting people of all ages with the amazing nature stories unfolding in their own backyards and neighborhoods.
- All programs are held at the Exploration Gateway (Stark Parks’ Facility at Sippo Lake) 5712 12th Street NW, Canton 44708.
Monthly bird walks are held just before the meetings March – October.
Everything we do is open to the public. Please join us!
OTHER LOCAL BIRDING EVENTS
- October 3rd – 2:00pm – 4:00pm – Meet and Owl Drop – In – Cleveland Metroparks/ North Chagrin Reservation – Stop by our owl aviary to meet live owls! Learn about these amazing creatures and enjoy the chance to see feathers, skulls, and talons at our touch table. For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for more information
- October 7th 8:00am – 9:30am – Morning Bird Walk – Cleveland Metroparks/ Rocky River Reservation – Fall migration is in full-swing. Let’s see what migrant and resident birds are spending time near the Rocky River. QUESTIONS – please email email@example.com Click here for more information
- October 8th 1:00pm – 3:00pm – Owl Fun – Cleveland Metroparks/ Brecksville Reservation – Come have a hoot of a time! We’ll make some owl crafts and learn some fun facts about owls that live within Cleveland Metroparks. Adults must also register. (13 spots available) Click here for more information
- October 9th 8:00am – 5:00pm – The Big Sit – Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center – It’s a “tailgate party for birders” with the objective to tally as many bird species as can be seen or heard inside a 17-ft count circle. Last year we tallied 36 species from our lawn chairs at the North Woods! Join us for a couple of minutes or a couple of hours during this annual, international, noncompetitive
birding event. No registration required. Click here for more information
- October 14th – 6:00pm – 7:00pm – Zoom – Spooky Species: Owls – Stark Parks – This is a zoom (video) program, not an in-person classroom event. Fall is here! The leaves are changing, the weather is getting colder, and it is officially spooky season- the perfect time of year to talk about some of Ohio’s misunderstood species. Tune in to meet our live animal cohosts as we learn the truth about these vital species. We’ll invesitgate our local owl species and dispel the myths around them. Click here to join the Presentation Click here for more information
Stark Parks: Link
TWC: The Wilderness Center Link
HBNC: Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center Link
SMP: Summit Metro Parks Link
CVNP: Cuyahoga Valley National Park Link
CMP: Cleveland Metroparks Link
Beech Creek Gardens Link