|WELCOME TO THE CANTON AUDUBON SOCIETY (CAS)
|WHAT’S TO COME
Meetings/Programs on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at the Exploration Gateway at Sippo Lake Park.
Click here for our most recent newsletter
All are welcome to all our events! They are free, educational and community-centered.
Join us for bird walks! They continue through the fall and occur just before each monthly meeting.
Find out more Click Here.
Ohio Audubon Chapter List and Map. Click Here
Become a chapter supporter by becoming a member of CAS. Find out more Click Here
CAS UPCOMING EVENTS
- December 11th 6:30pm – CAS Annual Holiday Dinner – Presentation will be “Famous people and their Fowl Obsessions” by Dwight Chasar. Purportedly there are nearly 70-80 million people in North America who watch birds. One would guess that at least a few of these people are (or have been) more famous for accomplishments in their chosen vocations rather than for their bird watching obsessions. So who are they? From political and sports figures to actors, music composers, and Nobel prize winners, this presentation looks at some of these famous people, with some surprising and interesting facts thrown in, and the impact that their bird watching has or had on their careers, their private lives and maybe ours as well. The speaker will try to identify birds that these people favored in their hobby. Dwight is a retired industrial research organic chemist. He has enjoyed many aspects of field ornithology including finding nests of out of place birds, leading bird walks for the public, surveying bird populations, travelling to other countries to see birds, participating in bird oriented organizations, and chemistry related to birds. Somehow he enjoys turning those subjects into publications or presentations. He is a past member of the Ohio Birds Record Committee. was a regional coordinator for the second Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas and is currently an eBird reviewer for Summit, Portage and Medina counties. Location of the Dinner and Presentation is First Christian Church, 6900 Market Ave N, Canton, OH 44721. Click here for Directions Reservations required for Dinner. Cost of Dinner is $16. Presentation to begin at 7:00pm and is open to the public. Doors for event open at 5:30pm.
- December 14th 7:00am – 5:00pm – Quail Hollow Christmas Bird Count – If interested in participating email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can put you in touch with the coordinator Ronnie Macko.
- December 20th 7:00am – 5:00pm – The Wilderness Center Christmas Bird Count – If interested in participating email email@example.com and we can put you in touch with the coordinator Ben Morrison.
- For a complete list of this years Programs/Actvities
- Programs & Activities for 2019/2020
We provide a public program the third Wednesday of every month (Sep-May) at 7:00pm. Programs are at Exploration Gateway (Stark Parks’ Facility at Sippo Lake) 5712 12th Street NW, Canton 44708.
Monthly bird walks are held just before the meetings March – October.
Everything we do is open to the public. Please join us!
OTHER LOCAL BIRDING EVENTS
- December 8th 9:30am – 11:30am – Birds of Acacia – Cleveland Metroparks/ Acacia Reservation – The ever-changing landscape of Acacia Reservation offers great birding opportunities. Join Naturalist Natalie Schroder as we search for a bounty of birds. Bring binoculars, some available to borrow. Meet at the kiosk. Click here for more information
- December 8th 10:00am – 12:00pm – Coffee with the birds – Summit Metroparks/ Liberty Park – Fill your mug with a warm beverage and sit fireside for a peaceful morning discussion at the wildlife viewing area. We will find out why this area is a favorite of our winter residents. Coffee and tea are provided, but please bring a mug. Click here for information
- December 10th 9:00am – 11:00am – Adventures in Birding – Stark Parks/ John Glenn Grove Trailhead – Take a leisurely hike along the Ohio & Erie Towpath Trail as we search for over-wintering bird species. Please bring your own binoculars. We will meet at the John Glenn Grove trailhead. Click here for more information
- December 10th 9:30am – 11:30am – Eagle Spotting – Cleveland Metroparks/ Ohio and Erie Canal Reservation – Join Naturalist Jake Kudrna as we hike along the towpath in search of the bald eagles that thrive along the Cuyahoga River. Bring binoculars, some available to borrow. Click here for more information
- December 14th 10:00am – 12:00pm – Birds and Coffee – Cleveland Metroparks/ North Chagrin Reservation – Brush up on your bird I.D. skills and enjoy a cup of hot coffee as we watch for cardinals, woodpeckers, chickadees and more through our one-way glass windows. Click here for more information
- December 14th 11:00am – 12:30pm – Chickadee feeding Campfire for families – Summit Metroparks/ Sieberling Nature Realm – Drop in and join a naturalist to experience the wonder of hand-feeding black capped chickadees! Discover the fascinating features of this tiny, feathered friend while attempting to get one to feed from your hand. Seed will be provided. Enjoy a toasty campfire and marshmallows, while supplies last. Click here for more information
- December 15th 9:30am – 11:00am – Birds along the Creek – Cleveland Metroparks/ Euclid Creek Reservation – Ohio’s winter months give wonderful opportunities to learn resident bird species. Join Naturalist Natalie Schroder along Euclid Creek in search of our wonderful winter residents. Click here for more information
- December 15th 1:00pm – 2:30pm – Bird Walk & Hand Feeding – Summit Metroparks/ Tuscarawas Meadows – Stroll along trails to spot winter birds and pause to hand-feed them along the way. Binoculars are recommended. Click here for more information
- December 15th 1:00pm – 3:00pm – Coffee with the Chickadees – Stark Parks/ Exploration Gateway – Tired of the cold? Escape from the winter weather, enjoy a warm cup of coffee, and do some indoor bird watching through the windows of the Lily Pad Gift Shop. We will fill the bird feeding station just prior to the start of the event to have the birds flock to the feeders. Coffee and cocoa will be provided. Click here fore more information
- December 15th 2:00pm – 3:30pm – Meet the Chickadees – Cleveland Metroparks/ North Chagrin Reservation – Birds are busy in the winter. We’ll learn all about the lives of our winter residents and get an up-close view of their activities. Meet at A.B. Williams Memorial Woods Trailhead. Click here for more information
- December 21st 10:00am – 11:30am – Winter Bird Hike – Summit Metroparks/ Liberty Park – Join a naturalist to search for birds that reside in Ohio year-round, along with winter’s winged visitors. Afterwards, grab a warm beverage and relax around the bird viewing area inside the nature center. Bring binoculars and dress for the weather. Click here for more information
- December 21,22,23,26,27,28,29,30,31 10:00am – 12:00pm – Hand feed a Chickadee – Cleveland Metroparks/ Brecksville Reservation – Looking for something to do with your family and friends over the holidays? Stop by to hand-feed the chickadees. We’ll supply the black oil sunflower seeds and instructions that make the experience one to remember. Click here for more information
- December 21st 11:00am – 1:00pm – Coffee with the Birds – Summit Metroparks/ Liberty Park – Fill your mug with a warm beverage and sit fireside for a peaceful discussion at the wildlife viewing area. We will find out why this area is a favorite of our winter residents. Coffee and tea are provided, but please bring a mug. Click here for more information
Stark Parks: Link
TWC: The Wilderness Center Link
HBNC: Huston Brumbaugh Nature Center Link
SMP: Summit Metro Parks Link
CVNP: Cuyahoga Valley National Park Link
CMP: Cleveland Metroparks Link
Beech Creek Gardens Link